Forget all those department store flyers that you get in the mail this week, Danforth East has your Mother’s Day needs covered. Whether she’s partial to the traditional gifts, prefers the gift of time or the gift of silence, there is something local for everyone.
- Picnic in the Park: Put the little ones in the wagon with a large blanket, soccer balls and sunscreen and head down to Better Bulk (2044 Danforth Ave.). You can get some organic cookies, fruit and juice boxes, and some chocolate covered espresso beans might not hurt either. You also need to check out the fridge by the cash counter where there is a selection of fancy cheese that is a true hidden gem of the neighbourhood! Next, swing by Royal Beef (1968 Danforth Ave.) for some of their house-made-all-natural-nitrite-free sliced roast beef, some havarti cheese (can there ever be too much cheese?), kaiser buns, garlic stuffed olives and some of that delicious chocolate stuff they have on the top of the deli counter. (Bring extra freezer packs because you’re unlikely to leave without some meat for dinner too.) Pack it all up the cooler bag and roll the gang over to East Lynn Park for an afternoon of slides, swings, sandwiches and snacks. And if you were to drink wine out of a water bottle while you’re there, who would know? Not that we would ever suggest such a thing.
- BackYard Oasis: Clean off the outdoor furniture and freshen up the back yard with some bright outdoor pillows from the Pillow Shoppe (1434 Danforth Ave). Conveniently, they have a buy 2 get 1 free promotion going on right now. Make sure to set out a icy cool pitcher of lemonade and some fresh fruit prepared in a bowl and some snacks from Plank Road Market (1716 Danforth Ave.) DECA fun fact: Plank Road Market was our first business revitalization project.
- Green Thumb: If she views gardening as a relaxing and enjoyable activity and not a taxing chore, then have the kids tell her she’s loved by spending the day gardening together. You could pick up a flat of flowers from one of many local garden shops and wrap up some Gardener’s Hand Repair Lotion available at Len (698 Coxwell Ave.). And if she’s in need of gardening gloves, tools or gardening pots you’d better stop by Home Hardware (2154 Danforth Ave.).
- The Simple Snooze Button: For many mothers an extra hour of sleep is literally a dream come true. So when the little ones start making noise on Sunday morning let mom sleep in. Take the kids out. It does not matter where, just not within earshot. Don’t return home until 11:00 a.m. and don’t dare walk in the door without a latte from Seb’s Cappuccino (1928 Danforth Ave. ) and a croissant from Celena’s Bakery (2036 Danforth Ave.).
- Traditional Day: Treat her to a lovely brunch at Melanie’s Bistro (1870 Danforth Ave.). I recommend the eggs florentine. There you can present her with a gift card for some pampering – like a simple mani or pedi from Metro Nails (1985 Danforth Ave.) or services from SUGARMOON (1509 Danforth Ave.), who happen to have a Mother’s Day promotion on now too. Melanie’s is also a lovely spot for dinner, and they also rock the late-night dessert as well.
See? There are so many options to spoil and spend time with mom this weekend. Let’s be clear, if you can’t choose between these great options, it is possible to do all of these if you really want to hit it out of the park! We have so many wonderful businesses, so if you need more ideas please scroll through our posts. Feel free to leave a comment if you have other thoughts.