So many options for an awesome Saturday, all of which give you a chance to engage with your neighbours. Here is the recap:
1. Danforth East Garage Sale, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. rain or shine, all over our neighbourhood
Did you hear Matt Galloway give us a shout out this morning on Metro Morning about our simultaneous yard sales taking place tomorrow? Our sale is THAT COOL! (Like, CBC-cool) Over 100 households, a bunch of street sales, a rummage sale, and probably even more than what shows on our map. Here is our post on it from yesterday in case you missed the map.
If you are hosting a garage sale, or even if you are not, please note that you can take all of your leftover stuff to Councillor Janet Davis’ environment day, and your used goods will be donated to people in need in our city. That is awesome, right. And it’s a nice segue to my next point.
2. Councillor Janet Davis’ Environment Day, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., East York Memorial Arena 888 Cosburn Avenue @ Woodbine
In addition to the stuff you know about Environment Day, did you know that you can bring lots of stuff to be donated to people who need it?? Here is the list from the City website:
Items donated to local schools for reuse
- Art supplies (e.g. pencils, markers, crayons, etc.)
- Buttons, keys, and collectors’ coins and stamps
- Clipboards, corks and cork boards
- CDs and cases
- Children’s books
- Costume jewelry including broken/old watches and clocks with hands
- Dress-up clothing (e.g. costumes, prom dresses, uniforms, etc.)
- Fabric pieces, yarn
- 35 mm cameras and equipment
Items donated for reuse (please keep separate from others)
- Sporting goods(e.g., skates, hockey equipment, bikes, rackets, etc.)
- Books (excluding school/university curriculum books)
- Medical equipment in good condition (e.g. eyeglasses, walking aids, hearing aids, etc.)
- Small household items (e.g., dishes, ornaments, kitchen utensils, artistic drawings, games, etc.)
- Textiles in good condition (e.g. clothing, linens, etc.)
- Non-perishable foods will be donated to a food bank
Here is the recent invite from Councillor Davis.
Bring all the stuff you’ve stored in the basement or garage all winter. Don’t forget the batteries, paint cans, electronic equipment, re-usable goods and clothes. Replace your bins, pick up important information, and learn more about what you can do to be green. Find out about Toronto Water and TRCA projects in our neighbourhood.
Bring your friends and enjoy a BBQ, local musicians, seed planting, plant sale, face painting and crafts for kids. Thanks to our community partners EY Community Garden, EY Garden Club, Toronto Parks and Recreation, EY Skating Club and others for their contributions.
We will also be joined by terrific local groups like Local Enhancement & Appreciation of Forests (LEAF), and Women’s Healthy Environments Network (WHEN), and the Stan Wadlow Off-Leash Dog Park Association.
New this year, we have free on-site bulk paper shredding. Bring your confidential documents for a safe means of disposal.
For a full list of items you can dispose of visit:
As always, there will be free compost created from leaves picked up last fall. City staff will be on hand to help residents load up free compost. Be sure to bring your shovels and buckets.
Make sure you stop by my table to discuss your local concerns, share ideas or just say hello! And don’t forget to enter our draw.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact my office. Thanks. See you Saturday.
So when you get your compost, what will you do with it? Maybe plant a tree? But how will you know how to take care of it?
3. Tree Care 101, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 79 Hiawatha Road (near Coxwell and Gerrard)
Now that you’ve bought stuff at the yard sales that you will re-use, you have donated your stuff, safely disposed of your household waste, and obtained free compost, you need to go learn how to take care of our wonderful trees!! (A logical next step, no? You can also go to this workshop before environment day. I know, the world is your oyster.)
What exactly is this workshop all about? How can I say it any better than our poster can? Here it is again!
Happy Weekend everyone!!