REVITALIZING THE DANFORTH
DECA’s building it, will you come?
DECA’s Business Revitalization Team (BRT) is working with local landlords to put temporary tenants in their empty buildings. This strategy worked wonders in Newcastle, Australia, turning the abandoned downtown to a thriving centre again. It is working in old Oakland, California. Why not here?
Our first partners are Gay and Scott, the owners of 1948 Danforth – the former Metro Nails. They love the idea and hope it will land them a good paying tenant. They’ve given us a month for free in their space, in exchange for some help cleaning and painting. We put out a call to budding entrepreneurs for proposals and got more than 50 responses in a week! After interviews, our committee selected two – a west-end collective of local designers, Birthia and our own Mrs. Darling’s Imaginarium for Girls and Boys.
Please come support us and them on Oct. 20-21 and Oct. 27-28.
If you are a landlord and want to work with us, we’d love to meet you – click here to email us.
And here is what DECA’s own Catherine Porter had to say about this project in the Toronto Star last week.
DECA PUB CRAWL – Thursday, October 18th, start @ 7:00 p.m.!
We’re here to remind you that drinking is not just for the weekends when you’re with your neighbours. Leave the kids at home and come have a night out with DECA! Thanks to Tara S. for this post.
Starting at Sidewalk Café, we’ll then go to Sarah’s, El Sol, TKOs and finally Relish for karaoke!! All participating pubs have agreed to prepare special drinks and food for us, so this is an opportunity not to be missed! Come hungry & thirsty!!
Here’s the breakdown:
7:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. @ Sidewalk Café (1344 Danforth Ave)
- A plate of mini Martinis (sweet, sour & dirty – 1oz each) including a side of Italian sushi (you read that correctly!) $8
7:40 p.m. – 8:10 p.m. @ Sarah’s Cafe and Bar (1426 Danforth Ave)
- 3 x Mill St. 7 oz samples for $6.00 and half-glasses of Jackson Triggs Chardonnay, St Lucas Torrontes, Porta Merlot & Jackson Triggs Cab Franc at $3.65 per 2.5 oz pour (you can have as much or as little as you like)
- Mixed Hors D’oeuvres Plate with Roasted Garlic & Brie Crostini, Devilled Egg, Brushetta & Falafel for $8
8:20 p.m. -8:50 p.m @ El Sol (1448 Danforth Ave)
- Margaritas, Sangrias and Mexican Beer
- Delicious beef tacos with guacamole for $4.95 – Ole!
9:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. @ TKO’s (1600 Danforth Ave)
- Beer tasters and sliders (hamburger, pork and chicken)
9:45 p.m. – onward @ Relish Bar and Grill (2152 Danforth Ave)
- Beer tasters and tapas selection and Karaoke!
We welcome late-comers along the way, so please join us whenever you can. In order to make ourselves obvious, we’ll be wearing feather boas and we encourage all of you to do the same (we’ll have a few extras on hand so don’t worry if you can’t find yours). There will also be giveaways, prizes, and Jason from Toronto Model Photography Studio taking photos!
If you know that you want to come or are even leaning toward yes (you know you are), please email here to RSVP so that we can advise the pubs on our numbers ahead of time if possible.